A couple of years ago, I hosted a cocktail party with an Oktoberfest theme. It was definitely more of a cocktail party than Oktoberfest, as I don’t know much about, or really like, German food or music. However, there were still plenty of Oktoberfest touches. Each guest drank out of, and got to take home, their own beer boot. We had German beer and wine. And during one of my shopping excursions to World Market I found giant hard pretzels. I’ve never seen pretzels that big. I bought them and served them along side appetizers, most of which I don’t recall anymore. But, these pretzels – amazing.
Pretzels are fine on their own, but much better when covered in chocolate. Remembering those pretzels, I took a trip back to World Market and picked up two boxes, chocolate chips and set out to create giant chocolate covered pretzels.
There’s not much to say regarding directions for this project. It’s as easy as can be. Dip pretzel in melted chocolate, sprinkle with whatever you want. But, here it goes anyway.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate baking chips on the stovetop in a double boiler. You can also use a microwave, but I prefer the stovetop.
- Dip each pretzel in melted chocolate, covering both sides. Use a fork to lift pretzel and let excess chocolate drip off.
- Place the pretzel on parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with toppings of your choice.
- Chill pretzels for 30 minutes so chocolate can set.
I realize it may be a little difficult to see how big these pretzels actually are in the pictures, as they’re no real sense of scale, which is why I included this glamorous picture of me.
These pretzels are fun to include on a dessert bar, at parties to give as gifts. Enjoy!